Monday 17 March 2014

More Farmers Wife from Towse

More Farmers Wife from Towse

Thanks to those who have also started to post - it is much appreciated. Now I've discovered how to re-find the tool bar I'd lost I can show what I've been up to. Here are my FW blocks for the last two months. I actually have Bouquet left to do but I've been leaving that until I feel like a fiddly sewing session.






I thought it might also be amusing for you to see the name badge I have constructed for the Fat Quarters sewing group in Missenden. They wanted people to wear names as it is quite a big group so gave us all pre-printed labels with the instruction to sew and decorate them how we fancied. Inspired by Carolyn's badge and having had her show me how to do chain stitch (I have never done embroidery) I decided to also get out the Heat and Bond and create a mini 9 patch quilt as well. Graham thought I had gone completely mad!!


Spreading the addiction

Some of you will already have met my neighbour, Doug, who has been initiated into the mysterious art of patchwork and is busy producing his own first blocks. Typically he has also gone off piste and started to experiment with distressed fabric with bleach. dyeing with various natural products and printing. He, like me, usually works cerebrally (he is a university lecturer) and was taken with the idea of going back to his artistic roots as well as a practical relaxation. I didn't realise that he would just start another obsession. His partner is also somewhat alarmed at the number of times she comes home to things bits of fabrics soaking in pots, or the ironing board in use! Here's some evidence ...




 
He's also completed a block of half square triangles and is now working on smaller triangles. Needless to say he is also accumulating his own stash, including some materials that I have never used myself!

3 comments:

  1. hello Towse, yes I am also enjoying seeing the posts written by other members. Your blocks are just lovely, what a smashing quilt this is going to be.
    I was very interested to see Doug's fabric experiments. I wonder if he has tried sun-dyeing, flower hammering and rust dyeing? Remind me, when you come down, to give you some walnut bark and leaves, as they make interesting dyes too.
    What a creative group you have around you :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kath, what have you done! Doug has been looking up all those techniques and asking whether we have any rusty objects he can play with. Luckily there's no flowers around in the garden he can hammer! Actually it's very exciting to see his interest/obsession developing - especially when he is supposed to be writing a book and this was meant to be the stress reliever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the FW blocks Towse, as we didn't see them at the class last Friday. Love the colours in Doug's blocks too. Man with an iron - what a treat x

    ReplyDelete