Thursday 7 November 2013

Don't stop me now - I'm having such a good time, I'm having a ball!!

.... if a little obsessed perhaps

So we've now had the second session for Farmers Wife and it was rather lovely to see all our first blocks arranged together. It really did show that we needn't worry about colours as they all seemed to 'go' together however different they were. But what started the obsession was just how different a block could be with a little tweak on fabrics.

So then we got our next seven blocks and because I had some home alone time with nothing to do except sew, watch TV and remember to feed the dogs, I got all ultra-productive and very quickly produced all seven in about four days! Although I have to say that 'Home Maker' (top left) was a real challenge!





Now I've got some hand quilting to do, but my excuse for neglecting that has been that the daylight is a bit dark. (Well, truthfully I have been having some problems marking the pattern on the fabric so I can actually see it and am hesitating to have a go with my newly purchased water soluble pen!) So, having told the rest of the family about other people's blocks, Graham suggested that I do some more and ... wait for it ... he would like to choose the fabrics so they would be really different to what I might have done.

So I did these ....




And these ....



And then Graham and I were talking one morning about heraldry (for a project we might be doing at a rather prestigious castle next year - say no more in case I jinx it!) and I said that heraldic quartering was just like nine patch, etc. etc. So he said that perhaps there were some templates that I already had that I could experiment with a heraldic block ................ so, despite the fact that I keep putting their heads and wings on backwards, I made this .....



For my next trick I'm thinking about how the challenge that was set at the Fat Quarters sewing group could be adapted to my needs for Farmers Wife. If my idea actually works I will have a couple of more abstract contemporary blocks that will sit, hopefully happily, amongst the more traditional blocks. Now all I have to do is design the block, work out how to make templates for it and see what happens. That should keep me occupied for a while.

Roll on next Farmers Wife session and I just love the Wendover Sewing Bee too. In fact I love every opportunity I can get to chat and sew, sometimes even sew and chat!!

Going to the Threads and Patches one day sale on Saturday with Sue D and Sue Mc. Looking forward to being over stimulated by all the choices and am pretty sure that my resolution not to buy any more fabric for a while will be severely tested!!


2 comments:

  1. what great blocks, I do enjoy seeing what you are working on. I'm beginning to favour the idea of sampler quilts, rather than an all-over geometric deign which I get bored with easily.
    Have you tried the Frixion pens? they give a nice fine line, like a felt pen, but dissappear with a warm iron.
    I do miss Threads and patches, what an Aladin's cave that shop is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kath
    I've heard of Frixion pens but haven't got one. My latest acquisition is a water soluble pen from Sally at Threads and Patches. Talking of which they had a one day sale today and so we went along. See the next post for details. Needless to say my idea that I would buy no more fabric for a while has been blown!!!

    ReplyDelete