Tuesday 6 August 2013

Getting inspiration from other patchworkers


Last Saturday, Broni and I went over to Barton Le Clay, just north of Luton to the Bedford Quilters show. A very interesting display of quilts of all types, a small, but useful, set of trade stands and a good cuppa and cake. What more does a patchworker need?

I took lots of photos and thought it would be good to post them here. Visitors were asked to vote for a 'Best in Show' - hugely difficult I thought because there was such a range of different styles. Strangely, although I don't know the outcome of the vote, people I spoke to were coming up with the same choices. There must be something unconscious or subliminal in the way we regard pattern and colour.





 
Some really intricate applique on these pieces









 
This is a close up of one of the blocks on the yellow and brown quilt above. I'm afraid my picture of the intricate fern didn't come out well enough to post. I think this block must be foundation pieced - if you look closely you can see the spiral of tiny pieces that make it up.




 
The above is not a particularly good picture I know, but I thought it might act to reassure those of you who are still worrying about the size of your hand quilting stitches!





 
The 'Dragon Carousel was someone's C& G work

 
The pyramids interested me because if you look closely you can see that the picture is made up of several quite large blocks of colour. It is the machine quilting that makes it look as if it is made from many strips.


 
I am off to the NEC Festival of Quilts on Friday with a group of unknown people (except for Eleanor, Claire and maybe Jane). I have been told to wear good shoes, take food and water and prepare to be exhausted. If I am able to take some pictures I will post them next week. Apparently it is huge and very, very busy! Wish us luck.
 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos, I enjoyed seeing all the different styles and colours of the quilts.
    Thanks for sharing Towse!

    ReplyDelete